- An antibiotic in the Tetracycline family that is commonly used to treat acne.
- Takes 6-8 weeks to become effective.
- After 3 months we should see a response (if there is no response after 3 months, other treatments will be considered).
- Headaches, dizziness (less likely if taken before bedtime).
- Increased sensitivity to burning in the sun (avoid excessive sun exposure and use protective clothing/hats/sunscreen).
- Yellow or brownish discoloration of the teeth or delayed bone growth (if age 9 or younger).
- Unusual rash or joint aches (*contact our office immediately).
- Yeast Infection.
- With long-term Minocin therapy: blue-black discoloration or darkening of scars/legs/sun-exposed areas/mucosa/sclera/teeth (*therefore I don’t give Minocin longer than 6 months at a time).
If any of these side effects occur, discontinue Minocin and call our office at (403) 457-0063.